FTSP Flight Training Candidate Categories
Candidates seeking flight training are separated into 1 of 4 FTSP categories.
If you have questions on which category to apply for, please contact us for assistance.
For Candidates pursuing training in aircraft with a maximum certified takeoff weight (MTOW) of over 12,500 lbs. who do not qualify for Category 2. Category 1 is generally for pilots who do not have a type rating for ANY aircraft with MTOW over 12,500 lbs., and have never filled out a training request with the FTSP.
NOTE: After the FTSP emails a Fingerprint Receipt to the Candidate, there is a wait period that may take up to 30 days to receive authorization to train.
Candidates pursuing training in aircraft with a maximum certified takeoff weight (MTOW) of over 12,500 lbs. must choose one of the following subcategories:
1. Candidate holds an airman’s certificate from a foreign country (or the U.S.) recognized by the FAA or a U.S. military agency.
• This sub category is for Candidates who have either an FAA or foreign airman’s certificate that is recognized by the FAA with a type rating for an aircraft with MTOW over 12,500 lbs.
2. Candidate is employed by a foreign air carrier with a security program approved under the CFR.
• This sub category is for Candidates who work for a foreign airline that is considered a Security Approved Foreign Air Carrier by the FTSP.
Candidate must list accurate contact info for their employer, we will need to contact them to verify employment
3. Candidate has unescorted access to a secure airport area under the CFR.
• This sub category is for Candidates who are on the Master Crew List
4. Candidate is a flight crew member with a criminal history check under the CFR.
• This sub category is for Candidates who have submitted fingerprints for any FTSP program. This includes Candidates who have submitted fingerprints to FSTP in the past.
NOTE: After the FTSP emails a Fingerprint Receipt to the Candidate, there is a wait period that may take up to 5 business days to receive authorization to train.
Candidates who seek flight training in the operation of aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less for the following training events:
Each of these training events requires a separate training request. Clarification regarding Category 3 exemptions is covered in the next Frequently Asked Question.
- Initial airman’s certificate, including a private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate.
— If a private and/or commercial license is the candidate’s initial FAA license, it is considered an initial airman’s certificate and is not exempt.
- Instrument Rating (IR)
- Multi-Engine Rating (MEL)
Candidates who seek recurrent training in the operation of aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight (MTOW) greater than 12,500 pounds, and are current and qualified on the aircraft for which they are requesting training. These training requests are submitted by the Candidates who must advise the flight training providers of the application — Candidates need to “Select Providers for Recurrent Training” from the FTSP Candidate account.